Questions? Feedback? powered by Olark live chat software
Powered by Jitbit .Net Forum free trial version.

iFlightPlanner

Forum

HomeTech Support

Post technical support questions for the iFlightPlanner Crew to answer. We always want to know if our members are experiencing any issues.

iPad Waypoint Deletion Messages in this topic - RSS

ssharpe83713
ssharpe83713

1/12/2020
I'm evaluating the free version on iPad. From the Flights/View Charts/Map screen, I can long press on the map to generate the Location pop-up menu and select a location, which appears on the map in a small blue circle, but I can't figure out how to delete the locations that I place on the map???
0 link
John Burnside
John Burnside

1/12/2020
Thanks for your post! We're always happy to help.

There are a few key touch interactions available with the map in iFlightPlanner for iPad:

1. If you simply tap anywhere on the map, as you did, and select a location it will add that location to the route of your current flight. Tap "Planner" at the top, then "Plan Flight" in the black planner console that drops down to generate a new navigation log including the new point.

2. To create a "Custom Waypoint" that is permanent and may be used in future routes, tap anywhere on the map, then tap "Save As" in the upper left corner of the popup menu.

3. Once you have planned a flight and see the route on the map, you may long press on the route line to insert a new waypoint into the route.

4. For any waypoint in your route, you may single tap it to see the waypoint info and a button to remove it from the route. You may also long press and drag the waypoint to perform route-rubberbanding.

If ultimately, you're just trying to get rid of one or more temporary locations on the map created by option 1, just tap the back button to return to your Flights list, then tap New Flight and they'll be cleared.

Let us know if we can help further!

--
John Burnside
Co-Founder, Director of Technology
iFlightPlanner.com
0 link
ssharpe83713
ssharpe83713

1/13/2020
Thanks for your quick and detailed response, John. However, it appears that the free version does not behave that way. Flight planning is not functional on the free version, so I don't get those associated options. There is no "Save As" in the upper left corner of the popup menu. If I plan a flight from the website, that flight is visible after the iPad sync, but it can't be modified in the free version. No matter which past flight I select, the map continues to show the scattered waypoints that were previously created by a long press from the map screen. It sure would be nice to have a delete capability for temporary locations created on the map in the free version.
0 link
John Burnside
John Burnside

1/13/2020
Ah, yes. For iFlightPlanner Free members, iFlightPlanner for iPad is "view only." You may plan and modify flights at iFlightPlanner.com, then sync the info into iFlightPlanner for iPad, but only view it there for reference. This is because our Free membership level is supported by ads on the web, but we don't show any ads in iFlightPlanner for iPad.

We will review the temporary waypoints issue in the Free version and plan to add an easy method to remove those. As a workaround for now, if you double tap the Home button on your iPad and close out iFlightPlanner for iPad completely, then re-open the app, they will be removed.

Let us know if we can help further in the meantime!

--
John Burnside
iFlightPlanner.com
0 link
ssharpe83713
ssharpe83713

1/13/2020
Thanks, John. Logically, I would think that since the developers decided to allow the creation of temporary locations in the free version, they would provide a means to get rid of them, short of killing the app each time. Thanks again!
0 link
John Burnside
John Burnside

1/13/2020
Yes, indeed. Just an oversight on our part!

We much prefer to fix the root issue ASAP rather than provide workarounds, especially those that are a bit clunky. That is much easier done on the web (iFlightPlanner.com) where we can deploy individual changes like this. However, for apps, an entire new version has to be deployed and approved through Apple, so it takes a bit longer. In the meantime, we at least want to provide an option to remedy.
edited by John Burnside on 1/13/2020

--
John Burnside
iFlightPlanner.com
0 link