Questions? Feedback? powered by Olark live chat software
Powered by Jitbit .Net Forum free trial version.

iFlightPlanner

 

...

Forum

HomeFeature Requests

Let us know what feature additions and improvements would make iFlightPlanner a better resource for you!

ADS-B Ghosts Messages in this topic - RSS

clocklin
clocklin
Posts: 12

7/17/2018
Not sure if this should be here or under Tech Support. I’m often seeing ghosts of my own plane - it’s a bit disconcerting to see another plane flying 100 feet below me! I know it happens when I’m flying around the Detroit area but haven’t paid enough attention to be sure if it happens outside the area so I’m not sure if it’s a TIS issue or an ADS-B issue.

If it’s an ADS-B issue, is there a possibility to add some ADS-B ID info to remove these ghosts? If so, it would be nice if that ID info could be stored to and retrieved from the selected aircraft.
+1 link
John Burnside
John Burnside
Posts: 206

7/18/2018
Hi Cal,

Either forum is fine. Can you share which ADS-B device you're using so we can investigate further?

As a general statement, ADS-B does not include a hard and fast solution for differentiating ADS-B traffic and your own aircraft. It's unfortunate the system was not designed to provide a unique identifier to each aircraft to help with this issue. It is made even more difficult by the fact that aircraft currently have a wide-range of ADS-B in/out capabilities and that ADS-B traffic data is received both air-to-air and from ground transmitters.

So, it is unfortunately possible that you may see a "ghost" aircraft from time-to-time that is, in fact, your own aircraft!

--
John Burnside
Co-Founder, Director of Technology
iFlightPlanner.com
+1 link
clocklin
clocklin
Posts: 12

7/24/2018
I’m using a Stratux unit from FlightBox. Single frequency with gps.
+1 link
John Burnside
John Burnside
Posts: 206

7/25/2018
Thanks for the additional info. To confirm, you don't have ADS-B out on your aircraft yet, correct?

--
John Burnside
Co-Founder, Director of Technology
iFlightPlanner.com
+1 link
clocklin
clocklin
Posts: 12

7/25/2018
Are you insinuating that our club isn't a good club? smile Of course we have ADS-B out -- in all 3 of our planes. We did one plane a year (along with new 406 ELTs) and finished the last one a year and a half ago. I'm going up in a few minutes to see how bad I can make my landings. When I get back (sorry, actual flying takes priority) I'll try to remember to send you that screen shot I promised.
+1 link
John Burnside
John Burnside
Posts: 206

7/25/2018
We would never assume such a thing! smile I just know the Stratux doesn't do ADS-B out, so I thought that indicated you didn't have it. Which ADS-B out equipment are you outfitted with? Does it not provide ADS-B in also such that you need the Stratux in addition to your ADS-B out solution?

--
John Burnside
Co-Founder, Director of Technology
iFlightPlanner.com
+1 link
clocklin
clocklin
Posts: 12

7/26/2018
We already had either Garmin 430W or 530W units in our three planes and GTX-330 transponders so it was a relatively inexpensive update to get ADS-B out. We have a Stratus 1 for those that want to use it (with no plans to replace it if it fails) but members need to provide their own iPad.
edited by clocklin on 7/26/2018
+1 link
randalforbes
randalforbes
Posts: 7

10/11/2019
Mr. Burnside,
I too am interested in this setup. I have the avidyne IFD440 / axp340 transponder / and the avidyne (navworx) uat.
I am at a loss as to what I would use in the setup for gps, and adsb.
Thank you for your reply.
I am not yet a subscriber, but the more I use the program, the more I like it.
Regards,
Randy
0 link
clocklin
clocklin
Posts: 12

29 days ago
For whatever it's worth, all of our members have been finding ghosts on our ADS-B traffic regardless of which app is being used. We believe it's because we are in an area that also has TIS-A traffic. The TIS-A has a different delay time which - we think - is causing the ghosts.

TIS-A is supposed to be going away as older radar systems are replaced and we'll find out for sure once that happens here.
0 link
John Burnside
John Burnside
Posts: 206

27 days ago
randalforbes wrote:
Mr. Burnside,
I too am interested in this setup. I have the avidyne IFD440 / axp340 transponder / and the avidyne (navworx) uat.
I am at a loss as to what I would use in the setup for gps, and adsb.
Thank you for your reply.
I am not yet a subscriber, but the more I use the program, the more I like it.
Regards,
Randy


Hi Randy,

Thanks for your post!

We have integrated NavWorx devices into iFlightPlanner for iPad. You may enable it by tapping "Settings" at the top of the Home view, then selecting NavWorx under ADS-B devices. However, you'll want to confirm with Avidyne or NavWorx that the device will broadcasting GPS and ADS-B data. If you can provide us the device model number, we can also touch base with NavWorx.

If the NavWorx device does not broadcast data, we would recommend a solution similar to what Cal has, which is using an external device, such as the Stratux, to provide GPS and ADS-B data to your iPad.

--
John Burnside
Co-Founder, Director of Technology
iFlightPlanner.com
0 link
John Burnside
John Burnside
Posts: 206

27 days ago
clocklin wrote:
For whatever it's worth, all of our members have been finding ghosts on our ADS-B traffic regardless of which app is being used. We believe it's because we are in an area that also has TIS-A traffic. The TIS-A has a different delay time which - we think - is causing the ghosts.

TIS-A is supposed to be going away as older radar systems are replaced and we'll find out for sure once that happens here.



Hi Cal,

Any chance you can snap a screenshot the next time the ghosting occurs? Also, are you able to tap on the ghosted target to see details? Seeing a visual often helps us identify any potential issues and/or solutions. Thanks!

--
John Burnside
Co-Founder, Director of Technology
iFlightPlanner.com
0 link
randalforbes
randalforbes
Posts: 7

27 days ago
John Burnside wrote:
randalforbes wrote:
Mr. Burnside,
I too am interested in this setup. I have the avidyne IFD440 / axp340 transponder / and the avidyne (navworx) uat.
I am at a loss as to what I would use in the setup for gps, and adsb.
Thank you for your reply.
I am not yet a subscriber, but the more I use the program, the more I like it.
Regards,
Randy


Hi Randy,

Thanks for your post!

We have integrated NavWorx devices into iFlightPlanner for iPad. You may enable it by tapping "Settings" at the top of the Home view, then selecting NavWorx under ADS-B devices. However, you'll want to confirm with Avidyne or NavWorx that the device will broadcasting GPS and ADS-B data. If you can provide us the device model number, we can also touch base with NavWorx.

If the NavWorx device does not broadcast data, we would recommend a solution similar to what Cal has, which is using an external device, such as the Stratux, to provide GPS and ADS-B data to your iPad.


Mr. Burnside,
Thank you for your reply.
I hope you are aware that Navworx was shutdown due to FAA input. (Not sure what happened, but the news is out there.)
The ADS-b box, that I have, is an MLB-100, from Avidyne, (it has Navworx on the box, but evidently was not subject to the AD the FAA put out.)
It recieves traffic from the 1090 towers, and sends / recieves gps data to the Avidyne IFD 440, thru what I think is 429 code, hardwired.
The IFD 440 has wifi and bluetooth, to repeat the data to the Avidyne IFD 100, (an IPAD based reciever, for both position, and ads-b traffic / weather.)
The drawback to the IFD 100, is it does not "flight plan", with weather, etc., but only is used for connection to the IFD 440.
I do notice that IFLIGHT planner will show posiition from my wifi at the house, and I am assuming that it will connect to the IFD 440 wifi, and repeat WX ADS-b traffic, and of course follow the course from the flight plan. (I do not know that for a fact.)
I am unable to give you any information about what, or how the MLB-100 operates, but I assume that it is the Navworx protocol.
The transponder is involved in all of this, as it is both 1090 and 978 transmitter.
Sorry if this is confusing, but I really like your program, and hope that it will fit what I need it to do.
Regards,
Randy
0 link
John Burnside
John Burnside
Posts: 206

27 days ago
Ah, yes, I had forgotten about the NavWorx situation. We have researched your setup further and quickly communicated with Avidyne. Best we can tell, the Avidyne device communications via the same channel as the L-3 Lynx. If you enable the L-3 Lynx device in the iFlightPlanner for iPad Settings, that should process the GPS and ADS-B data being broadcast by your IFD 440.

Make sure to first connect to the WiFi network created by your IFD 440. Once you've connected and selected the L-3 Lynx setting in iFlightPlanner, the device will show up on the right side of the Home view. Tap on the device to view connectivity info and data statistics. Please let us know if that is successful! We'll continue to work with Avidyne to officially integrate their device family into our apps.

--
John Burnside
Co-Founder, Director of Technology
iFlightPlanner.com
0 link
randalforbes
randalforbes
Posts: 7

27 days ago
Outstanding support. I didnt expect all of that so quickly.
I just purchased a 3 month subscription. Will check and report back all of the settings, and if there are any setbacks.
Thank you again for your quick reply.
Regards,
Randy
0 link
John Burnside
John Burnside
Posts: 206

27 days ago
No problem, Randy! We're always happy to help. Welcome aboard as an iFlightPlanner Premium member!

--
John Burnside
Co-Founder, Director of Technology
iFlightPlanner.com
0 link