Questions? Feedback? powered by Olark live chat software
Powered by Jitbit .Net Forum free trial version.

iFlightPlanner

Forum

HomeFeature Requests

Let us know what feature additions and improvements would make iFlightPlanner a better resource for you!

ADS-B Ghosts Messages in this topic - RSS

clocklin
clocklin

7/17/2018
Not sure if this should be here or under Tech Support. I’m often seeing ghosts of my own plane - it’s a bit disconcerting to see another plane flying 100 feet below me! I know it happens when I’m flying around the Detroit area but haven’t paid enough attention to be sure if it happens outside the area so I’m not sure if it’s a TIS issue or an ADS-B issue.

If it’s an ADS-B issue, is there a possibility to add some ADS-B ID info to remove these ghosts? If so, it would be nice if that ID info could be stored to and retrieved from the selected aircraft.
+1 link
John Burnside
John Burnside

7/18/2018
Hi Cal,

Either forum is fine. Can you share which ADS-B device you're using so we can investigate further?

As a general statement, ADS-B does not include a hard and fast solution for differentiating ADS-B traffic and your own aircraft. It's unfortunate the system was not designed to provide a unique identifier to each aircraft to help with this issue. It is made even more difficult by the fact that aircraft currently have a wide-range of ADS-B in/out capabilities and that ADS-B traffic data is received both air-to-air and from ground transmitters.

So, it is unfortunately possible that you may see a "ghost" aircraft from time-to-time that is, in fact, your own aircraft!

--
John Burnside
Co-Founder, Director of Technology
iFlightPlanner.com
+1 link
clocklin
clocklin

7/24/2018
I’m using a Stratux unit from FlightBox. Single frequency with gps.
+1 link
John Burnside
John Burnside

7/25/2018
Thanks for the additional info. To confirm, you don't have ADS-B out on your aircraft yet, correct?

--
John Burnside
iFlightPlanner.com
+1 link
clocklin
clocklin

7/25/2018
Are you insinuating that our club isn't a good club? smile Of course we have ADS-B out -- in all 3 of our planes. We did one plane a year (along with new 406 ELTs) and finished the last one a year and a half ago. I'm going up in a few minutes to see how bad I can make my landings. When I get back (sorry, actual flying takes priority) I'll try to remember to send you that screen shot I promised.
+1 link
John Burnside
John Burnside

7/25/2018
We would never assume such a thing! smile I just know the Stratux doesn't do ADS-B out, so I thought that indicated you didn't have it. Which ADS-B out equipment are you outfitted with? Does it not provide ADS-B in also such that you need the Stratux in addition to your ADS-B out solution?

--
John Burnside
iFlightPlanner.com
+1 link
clocklin
clocklin

7/26/2018
We already had either Garmin 430W or 530W units in our three planes and GTX-330 transponders so it was a relatively inexpensive update to get ADS-B out. We have a Stratus 1 for those that want to use it (with no plans to replace it if it fails) but members need to provide their own iPad.
edited by clocklin on 7/26/2018
+1 link