Questions? Feedback? powered by Olark live chat software
Powered by Jitbit .Net Forum free trial version.

iFlightPlanner

Forum

HomeTech Support

Post technical support questions for the iFlightPlanner Crew to answer. We always want to know if our members are experiencing any issues.

A few questions from a new user. Messages in this topic - RSS

randalforbes
randalforbes

26 days ago
Ipad pro software version 13.1.3 wifi and bluetooth only.
IFligthplanner 3.3.1 downloaded and installed Aug 9, 2019
Iflightplanner on windows 10

Current location. Tucson Arizona On the ground. (Unknown if this happens in flight.)
1. With the ipad planner zoomed out to continental usa....... the central portion of the lower 48 is highlighted in yellow, the line is just west of KLRU, north to canadian border, then follows border, (with minn "jog" ), to the great lakes, and I am unable to zoom in close enough to find location, then it goes south into what looks like the FIR boundry, and then back west again. It is very distinct. (pic available on request)

2. I am unable to duplicate this next item with any degree of accuracy. When zooming or extending the map, a green line, sometimes appears. This green line is of an unknown length, unknown direction, and unknown "WHY". What does this line represent? (it will disappear after a few seconds)

3. In flight today, I was unable to adjust the track to a DIRECT to a waypoint. I flight planned from airport to fix to destination airport, and after take off given a heading for traffic, taking me off the track by a distance. I was unable to perform a DIRECT TO the fix I wanted to fly to.
Is there a way to do this?

4. The user guide, (version 2.2 for ipad), explains that with ios 10 or greater, one can pinch and rotate chart. I am unable to perform this.

I hesitate to put these questions up here, since I am a newbie, and do NOT want to be "that guy" who complains... BUT...
I would really like to be an expert on this program, and as of now, feel way behind the power curve.
Two last items / requests.... and this maybe by design.. the notepad on the menu bar, bottom of main page, does not carry over to the notepad, map page, view settings, bottom or side view.
Menu bar, bottom of ipad. Downloads, settings, Delete downloaded data, delete airport documents and chart data.. does this delete all of the downloaded data, as in clean slate program, or just the data that has been viewed, reviewed during the flights?
Thank you for your time.
I look forward to being "schooled" on this program.
Regards,
Randy
0 link
randalforbes
randalforbes

26 days ago
update on the item 1. above. After turning on wifi, logging on to house wifi, and restarting program. Yellow area is now gone. I have no clue as to why.
Regards,
Randy
0 link
John Burnside
John Burnside

25 days ago
Hi Randy,

Happy to help with these questions:

1) Please do send a picture so we may confirm. However, it sounds like you may have had the Convective SIGMETs layer turned on for the map. Those appear as yellow shapes on the map and there is currently one that matches the description. You may toggle map layers using the menu at the top right of the map (the layers icon in the black toolbar).

2) The green line is distance measuring tool. If you hold two fingers on the map for a moment, it will appear and you may move your fingers around to see distance and heading between the two points. Zooming with two fingers works fine, but if you initially hold your two fingers in the same spot, the green line will appear.

3) Yes, there is a way! Once you're airborne and off track a bit, simply tap on the next waypoint you want to head towards, which will open a small popup with the waypoint name. In that popup, tap the "Direct To" symbol (the D with the arrow through it).

4) We will check on this! You should be able to rotate the chart. Also, if you are rotating the chart to achieve "track up" rather than "north up", you may also do so by tapping the arrow symbol on the left side of the map. Tap once to have it center on your position (and stay centered), then tap again to go to "track up" mode. Your aircraft will stay centered and the map will rotate according to your heading.

5) Yes, the Notepad on the main tab bar and the Notepad within Flights > Bottom/Side View are different from each other.

6) The "Delete Downloaded Data" on the Download Settings menu will delete any airport diagrams, approach plates, and Sectional/TAC/IFR Low/High chart data downloaded, whether via the downloads page or while viewing charts and documents on the map or in the Airport tab. You probably won't need to use that button very often. But say you took a long cross-country trip for which you pre-downloaded data for a number of states (or the entire US) and you wanted to delete that data to free space up on your iPad, you could tap that button, then download just the states you need going forward.

Please don't hesitate at all to post questions here! They're always welcome and are helpful for us to determine if any features are confusing, while also helping other members who may have similar questions.
edited by John Burnside on 10/18/2019

--
John Burnside
Co-Founder, Director of Technology
iFlightPlanner.com
0 link
randalforbes
randalforbes

25 days ago
Good morning.
Thanks for the quick response.
1. Yes, you are correct. sigmets. I dont remember "clicking" on it, but I just did, and the area, along with the western usa was highlighted. Problem solved.
2. LOL.. Yep. I did not see the "box" above the line, showing dist / direction. How could I miss that?
3. This one is a little more difficult. Is it a "tap and hold", just a "tap", or a "double tap". I plan a flight, with the planner, origin, destination, and a couple of fixes.
the route shows as planned. (Ktus- Klou, routing is abq stl)
I attempt to tap on stl, as if to fly direct. It zooms the map in, or the "v" jumps away, and up about 1/2 inch., then when lifting of finger, it shows the "location save as / cancel box. No direct seen.
Then going back to planner box, the new destination is stl, with the routing as ktus stl routing as abq stl and a lat long description degrees minutes, etc.
It is as if, I have made stl the new destination. What am I doing wrong?
Update. I finally got the direct box to show up, however, the new "direct too" fix is the destination. (the tap area seems to be very sensitive, and may pose a problem in turbs.)
When tapping on the fix to perform the direct to, it takes a number of tries to get what I want. It gives me the ability / option of a number of fixes / airports /etc around what I want, and sometimes the one that I do want.
HELP! (LOL)
I know I am doing something incorrect here, please let me know what it is.
4. Still unable to rotate chart., and did not see the "arrow to rotate chart"., will check that out next flight.
5. I assumed so. Thank you/
6.Ok, understood. Thank you.
Until I get a good handle on this, you will prob put me on "ignore".
Please don't do that. I promise to only ask questions in months that have an "R" in them.
Regards,
Randy
0 link
John Burnside
John Burnside

25 days ago
No problem!

3) To show the waypoint popup info, use just a single light tap on the waypoint icon ("V" for VOR, "X" for a fix, etc.). If you hold down on the icon, it will jump up 1/2 inch to allow you to perform route rubberbanding. It jumps up by design so the icon is not directly under your finger, but rather above your finger to help see where you are moving the waypoint. Once you let go, the popup menu allows you to a) "Save As" - save the new location as a custom waypoint or b) leave the waypoint as a custom lat/lon location in the route or c) snap to a known waypoint from the list. If you unintentionally activate the rubberbanding feature, tap "Cancel" at the top right of the popup menu to snap back to your original waypoint. You can also tap and hold anywhere on a route line to insert an entirely new waypoint.

Now, the "Direct To" behavior changes depending on which route segment is currently activated, as indicated by the route segment highlighted in magenta. On the map (or in the nav log) tap on any segment to activate that segment. As you pass waypoints, the app will automatically activate the next segment. The active segment determines the instrument data, such "Distance to Next Waypoint", etc.

When the current segment is activated and you "Direct To" the next waypoint, it will insert a lat/lon waypoint for your current location, then create and activate a route segment to your next waypoint. I believe this is the behavior you were after. I believe you likely didn't have the current route segment activated. When you "Direct To" a previous route segment, it will change the flight destination as it assumes it is a diversion entirely from your intended route and destination.

4) Let us know if the "track up" mode, via the arrow icon on the left side of the map, achieves the desired behavior on your next flight!

We'll hold you to that promise on months! smile

--
John Burnside
Co-Founder, Director of Technology
iFlightPlanner.com
0 link
randalforbes
randalforbes

25 days ago
Thanks, I will prob fly this weekend, and check out the instructions.
Will advise on any issues.
Regards,
Randy
(take the rest of the day off... You've earned it. In fact.. You can have the whole weekend off. )
0 link