Questions? Feedback? powered by Olark live chat software
Powered by Jitbit .Net Forum free trial version.

iFlightPlanner

Forum

HomeFeature Requests

Let us know what feature additions and improvements would make iFlightPlanner a better resource for you!

Leg altitude Messages in this topic - RSS

ultrissa
ultrissa

27 days ago
iFlightPlanner is a GREAT tool, for which I thank you very much. The only serious flaw that I found in it is the impossibility to set a cruise altitude for each leg (I don't mean just editing, but recalculating winds, heading etc. in the Nav Log). This is a serious detail when flying in mountain regions or in the vicinity of air spaces. PLEASE, consider this issue.
THANK YOU.

Carl
Private Pilot
0 link
John Burnside
John Burnside

27 days ago
Hi Carl,

Thanks for your post! We're always interested in feedback from our members.

We do provide the ability to set the altitude on a per-flight basis. To clarify, by "leg" do you mean a flight between two airports or a segment within a flight, such as between two waypoints?

I ask because people sometimes use "leg" interchangeably and we want to make sure we're answering your question as accurately as possible.

--
John Burnside
Co-Founder, Director of Technology
iFlightPlanner.com
0 link
ultrissa
ultrissa

26 days ago
Thanks John for your reply. By 'leg' I mean the section between two waypoints. I thought of this problem the other day when I was planning a flight between Mount Pocono, PA (KMPO) and Essex County, NJ (KCDW). I wanted to fly via Blairstown (1N7) and Andover (12N) at 5500 ft altitude but KCDW is under Newark's B airspace external 'cake', which has a 3000 ft base. This means that somewhere between Andover and the border of Newark's airspace, you must descend below 3000 ft. Ideal would be to add a waypoint (WP) near the airspace border where you want to be sure to be at, say, 2800 ft and have the software re-calculate and define TOD (5500 ft) and BOD (2800 ft) in the 'leg' Andover-WP, after which you proceed to KCDW at a safe 2800 ft. (Marking TODs on the route would be also very useful). Of course, in this particular circumstance, this is not really critical since KCDW is close enough to the airspace border for me to descend and proceed by dead reckoning, but think of the many other situations (crossing a mountain crest for example or having to transition under or over an airspace) in which changing temporarily altitude and maybe also speed might be critical. I don't mean just editing the speed in the NavLog but re-calculating everything: winds change direction at different altitudes.

Thanks for your attention

Carl Salustri
0 link
John Burnside
John Burnside

23 days ago
Thanks for clarifying! Unfortunately, the flight planning engine does not support varying cruise altitudes within a single flight, but your example and the other possible scenarios, especially involving mountain flying, are scenarios that definitely happen in real-world flying.

I wish we had a better answer for you at this moment, but we have noted your feedback in our list of feature requests to review for coming development. As always, our development is prioritized based on member input and request volume for a specific feature, so we greatly appreciate you sharing your question here!

--
John Burnside
Co-Founder, Director of Technology
iFlightPlanner.com
0 link